[TYPO3-core] RFC #10497: Mark t3lib_div::makeInstanceClassName() as deprecated

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Mar 2 15:20:04 CET 2009

Niels Pardon wrote:

Hi Niels,

> I think as soon as this function is marked deprecate and a warning is
> issued there will be a lot of user requests who are asking what this
> warning is about and how to get rid of it.

I don't see a problem with it, please see the patch. The message which
will also apear in the messages logged to the deprecated log clearly
states how to solve the issue.

> The only way to avoid this for an extension author is to have two
> branches of his extensions. One which uses the way in<  4.3 and one
> which uses the way in>= 4.3.

This is not the only way, but another quick possibility is the one
outlined by Dmitry. However a branch would be a very clean way.

> If I see this correctly this is the same as it is done in PHP. First
> functions get deprecated "by convention" and then in a following version
> calls to this functions issue a warning.

This is unfortunately not possible as it would be an "extra rule" for
this special case compared to all other deprecated functions. For TYPO3
we defined that a deprecated function gets removed two versions later,
this should be enough time for actively developed extensions. We also
issue alpha and beta versions so that developers notice these changes
and get active even beforehand.

It would probably result in forgetting about adding the warning in 4.4
and the method never getting actually removed. And in the end it would
forever be possible to circumvent the check for t3lib_Singleton.

I ask you to please trust me that everything will be ok with the final
version of TYPO3 4.3.

thanks
Ingo

--