[TYPO3-core] RFC #10497: Mark t3lib_div::makeInstanceClassName() as deprecated

Patrick Broens patrick at netcreators.com
Mon Mar 2 15:04:47 CET 2009

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Patrick Broens wrote:
>> What's the fuzz about? It does not break any extension.
>> makeInstanceClassName() is only marked as deprecated, it's still
>> available. We have a lot of deprecated functions in the core for
>> backwards compatibility. The solution for makeInstance() is well written
>> and doesn't break anything either. We need the check for t3lib_Singleton.
>
> Patrick, do you use latest core at all?
What do you think? I use most of the latest changes in the core which I
can use, and also this one, for the FORM project

I have tons of deprecation messages in BE and FE these days. Sometimes I
even not able to edit anything in BE because these messages are over the
"Save" buttons. If makeInstanceClassName() is deprecated, even more
messages like this will show up (including from your extensions!).
Your veto started that it would break extensions. Perhaps that's a
mather of interpreting English, but IMHO when an extension breaks, it
doesn't work at all anymore. That's not the issue here. Couldn't you
just simply say you wanted to get rid of this warning? (I hardly use the
TYPO3 debug output)

> What happens if such message comes inside AJAX call? Did you think of that? Probably not...
>
>> You don't have to rewrite anything in your extension, but when you use
>> the new functionality of makeInstance(), you have to make your extension
>> dependending on 4.3 >= anyway.
>
> Ok. I will make RealURL dependent on 4.3.
Ah come on, I agree that the warning is not the best solution (have a
look at the proposal from Niels Pardon), but don't have these harsh
words over such a thing. We certainly can come to a solution.
So if you find a bug in RealURL, forget about updates for 4.2. Agreed? :)