[TYPO3-core] RFC #11293: Login page is not translatable

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Mon Jun 8 00:09:23 CEST 2009

Hey all,

On 07.06.2009 21:55 Uhr, David Bruchmann wrote:
>> yes, you're right. So check has to be made against
>> $GLOBALS['BE_USER']->user
The check was correct in the first place. It is used the same way in
this index.php below.

> I see no way to get data from a still unknown user at this point.
> So perhaps a language-selector makes sense?
At this point, The BE_USER object is a dummy object with no database
record (thus, no selected language) attached to it. However, when
someobody is logged in, then the BE_USER is not a dummy object, thus
filled with proper selected language.

As for an additional selector: I personally dislike having a language
selector as it would only be used for the login page anyway, after the
login you'll have the $BE_USER record from the DB. Less clutter,
convenient options where appropriate. We need to think from a users
point of view. If the page is in english, then that's fine (as it is
right now), if the browserlanguage detection works, then it's in his
proper language if applicable, which is even better. However, most users
don't even think about it, so let's keep it that way by not showing a
language selector :)

All the best,
Benni.