[TYPO3-core] RFC #11606: [Feature]: Add a RANDOM cObject

Fabrizio Branca news at _REMOVETHIS_fabrizio-branca.de
Fri Jul 31 11:30:58 CEST 2009

>> shouldn't it be a RANDOM_INT then to save the nesting, and otherwise
>> when having the result cached it's not that "random" anymore - at
>> least to visitors... Either way would be fine though... just saying ;)
>
> Good solution would be both.
> So "real" random would be uncached.

Having it the way it is (cached) you can easily realize both situations.
I'm sure there are some situations where caching a random cObject makes
sense. (E.g. you could have x different random images cached and
distinguished by a typoscript condition. Or having a random prefix
domain for a file in a cdn. In this case you would really like to get
the same random prefix everything to make use of the browser cache.)

And in case you need a real random object it should be no big deal to
nest this into a COA_INT.

Having a RANDOM _and_ a RANDOM_INT is too much overhead in my opinion,
unless there are some other benefits in having two separate objects.

Bye and have a nice day,

Fabrizio