[TYPO3-core] RFC #11474: Store separate extlist for the frontend

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Fri Jul 17 15:31:03 CEST 2009

Rupert Germann schrieb:
> hi Masi,
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> Instead of a "doNotLoadInFE" I'd add a "modes" property. If set, it
>> defines the mode in which the extension is loaded (comma separated
>> list). The values are BE and FE. If not set, it defaults to "BE,FE".
>
> good point - that would also allow to reduce the BE load.
> This patch is also a result of the performance-improvement-meeting we had
> last week. I remember that the first version(s) had such a feature (or at
> least we talked about it)
>
> @Mattes: can you remember why this feature doesn't make it to the patch?

Sorry to come into the thread at a later point.

The idea behind this patch was:
a) make it backwards compatible
b) make something WORK instead of discussions with no working code behind it

Regarding the name of the switch:
It can't get any more straightforward than this:
Do not load it in the frontend (because you need it in the BE anyways)
End of story.

How smart is a "mode = FE,BE" switch when 'BE' is enabled every time
anyways?

Regarding ext_localconf and ext_tables files:
If 1% of ALL extensions work in the Backend without those files loaded,
start thinking about such a switch.

But if you think a bit what those files do:
They register plugins - hm... needed in BE
They set table definitions, hm.. need those as well.
and so on.

I'm moving the rest of my post to the dev list, since it gets more
conceptional and has less to do with the idea of the core list.

--
TYPO3 certified interogator
T3DD09 Entertainer