[TYPO3-core] RFC: #0011505: TYPO3 4.3 is slower than 4.2.8 -> re-implement native db caching

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Wed Jul 8 13:14:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

as one of the results of the performance meeting from last weekend here's a
first RFC:

Type: Bugfix

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11505

Branches: Trunk

Problem:
the FLOW3 caching framework (F3CF) eats up a lot of performance.
Despite there have been a bunch of performance related improvements lately
in trunk, TYPO3 4.3 delivers cached pages still significantly slower than
4.2 (see numbers below).

Solution:
re-implement the "traditional" way of caching additionally to the F3CF and
make the caching engine configurable in the install tool.
This gives all users that don't need another cache than the mysql database
the chance to achieve the same performance with TYPO3 4.3 as they had in
4.2.x.
Those users who benefit from the F3CF because they have the possibility to
use other caching engines like memcached or APC will still have the
possibility to set a checkmark in the install tool and use the caching
framework.

Info:
the sligtly decrease in troughput when comparing 4.3 patched with F3CF and
4.3 trunk is caused by the conditions which determine which caching engine
is enabled. (I did already a benchmark to compare if(defined(const)) and
if($GLOBALS['var']) - the latter one is faster)
I also did some benchmarks without the condition and only the internal db
caching enabled; the troughput actually reaches the values from 4.2.8
without any decrease.

note: the bigger decrease that I measured earlier[1] between 4.3 without
FCF3 and 4.2.8 seemed to be caused
a) by new improvements in 4.3 (namely the xclass fix in the autoloader) and
b) by differences in my test installations. This time I made shure that all
installations use identical dbs and identical localconfs (except the db
settings of course)

Since I do believe that the F3CF will be faster one day, consider this patch
as preliminary - I'm mainly interested in the question if others can
reproduce the results.

greets
rupert

[1]