[TYPO3-core] RFC: #1280: Deleting directories ending in a dot in fileadmin-module impossible

bernd wilke x00nsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jan 30 21:34:18 CET 2009

Am Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:05:15 +0100 schrieb Francois Suter:

> You're right. There was a lot of discussion about this bug report on IRC
> and the result of the discussion appears unclear here. We probably
> should have opened a new RFC and proposed dropping the original bug
> report. Here's why:

[...]

> - of course, it is still possible for people to create "badly"-named
> files and directories via FTP or other such access, but then they can
> also be deleted that way is such a case.

not always!
I got stuck on some TYPO3-installations while I could create directories
but could not delete them.
At last that was bad configuration of rights with one user which created
directories and rename/delete was another user which had no rights for
rename/delete.

why is the existing name of a file/directory checked against a given
charset while renaming or deleting?
IMHO the best way to get the needed name is to check if it exists (and is
in the modifiable path).

showing files or directories in file-module means: it is in the
accessable path.
executing a deletion- or rename-script from context-menu of file means:
it exists with the given name read from disk and shown.

I remembered old DOS-times where you could create filenames with blanks
in the middle using wildcards while all normal filehandling commands
disabled such (explicit) naming. (There was no way to quote filenames or
escape special characters)
So a file like "my file.txt" couldn't be handled explicit.

knowing the trick to create those files was a good way to drive a user
crazy, which wnted to access this file (read, delete, ...)

bernd