[TYPO3-core] RFC #10092: Feature: Add a logging API for deprecated functions

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sat Jan 24 14:06:48 CET 2009

Hi,

Oliver Hader wrote:
> Hi Masi,
>
> Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>> Committed to trunk (4841) with one change. I made the trigger ready for
>> PHP 5.3
>>
>> 	if (defined('E_USER_DEPRECATED')) {
>> 		trigger_error($errorMsg, E_USER_DEPRECATED);
>> 	} else {
>> 		trigger_error($errorMsg, E_USER_NOTICE);
>> 	}
>
> Thanks for this feature. However, I'd like to see a possibility in
> TYPO3_CONF_VARS to disable the triggering of errors. The deprecated
> notices are fine in a log file but will confuse visitors or editors of a
> website since they cannot handle the message and are not in charge of
> fixing the deprecated calls in extensions.
>
> Imagine an application that delivers data via JSON and still uses
> t3lib_div::array2json() - if the user does not have FireBug installed or
> is not familar with searching for bugs - since it's just a just or
> editor with no technical background, an extensions/application just
> "seems not to be working"...
>
> What do you think?

Yep, we definitely need some way of disabling it - maybe we should even
disable it by default.

I was just trying to use the extension manager after that fix had been
committed, and I could hardly use it for all the notice messages in the
way. So I think we should disable the notices by default but have the
functionality there for the developers to enable it when hunting for
deprecated function calls.

cheers
Ingmar

--