[TYPO3-core] RFC: #10043: removed deprecated functions

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Fri Jan 2 18:18:18 CET 2009

Hi Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> I would love to see your "Log of deprecated functions in TYPO3, trunk
> version" organized a bit with more information about the effect of the
> removals planned for 4.4 in a Wiki page. That would make it easier for
> the 4.4 release manager at that future time to update NEWS.txt
> accordingly (and do the "removal").
>

 > Btw, do we have some "list" of stuff we want to deprecate when? The list
 > at http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Deprecated_features hasn't been
 > maintained for long. I think there should be a clear policy on how to
 > introduce "deprecations", just as we have when documenting Documentation
 > changes. My idea:

i will post my list on that page. I think that the order by version is
the best for getting an overview.
What descriptions belongs - i copied all description that i found in the
code. I don't have more information so this is the info i can give for
now, but as this is a wiki, others can add comments/descriptions as
well. It took me some time to gather the infos, so this is a better
start than the existing info on the mentioned page.

> My idea from 16.10.2008 (typo3-dev list) again (Stucki promised to add
> that to the core team guide):

If we are used to it it should be clear. I can also write a Core blog to
inform about, also a post in dev-list should point to this page.

> 1) core developer touches some code and notices that he needed to add
> some ugly "backwards compatibility" layer to keep older extensions or
> sites happy.
> 2) He marks the "hack" as DEPRECATED (in the source code) and
> 3) Writes down the hack, the release version in the above mentioned wiki
> page. Also on that page he notes when the backwards compatibility "hack"
> will be deleted (2 major versions later, as we have agreed some years
> ago) and how it will affect sites.

we should clearify a common syntax for this tagging, it's used in
different ways.

> Before some major release (at alpha status, so that it can be tested),
> the release manager goes through a list in the Wiki and kills all
> deprecated stuff from the code (in one huge RFC). The wiki information
> is then introduced into the NEWS.txt for all to know about it. The newly
> stuff marked for deprecation will also be noticed in NEWS.txt, giving
> site developers enough time to take care of it.

definitively we should do that ;-)

vg Steffen