[TYPO3-core] RFC: #10533: Allow predefined setting for "extended view" in list module

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Thu Feb 26 23:21:16 CET 2009

Hi,

I apologize for this long post!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> According to the discussions about "Extended View" in list module here
> comes a patch as suggestion which should fit all needs.
>
> The patch sets extended View for list module "on" by default (which is
> setting 3, see below).
>
> Additional you can set the default value by userTS or pageTS with
> following setting:
>
> mod.web_list.extendedView = 0 //disable extended view, no switch is
> displayed
> mod.web_list.extendedView = 1 //enable extended view, no switch is
> displayed
> mod.web_list.extendedView = 2 //no extended view by default, switch is
> displayed
> mod.web_list.extendedView = 3 //extended view by default, switch is
> displayed

General +1 to a patch here.

I agree to Franz that splitting this into two options is better.

The state of extendedView is a module menu setting and as such saved in
the user's uc. Changing the default state of extendedView with your
patch will only affect new users, who never opened the list module
before. This is redundant, as it's already possible to enable the
extended view by default for new users, using this in localconf.php
(maybe not widely known):

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['defaultUC'] = array (
	'moduleData' => array (
		'web_list' => array (
			'bigControlPanel' => '1',
		),
	),
);

It's a standard support question to a client if he enabled exended view
and I would like to get rid of this question, especially for upgraded
installations.

So I would like to have a TS option that always enables / disables
extended view regardless of the already existing user's module setting.
Attached solution comes with a new pageTSconfig called
mod.web_list.extendedView.forceEnabled. If this is set, the user is
unable to enable / disable extendedView.
The checkbox doesn't make sense then, so it can be disabled with
mod.web_list.extendedView.hideCheckbox=1.

Why all this fuss? Consider the following situations:
- Admin sets up a new installation and wants to give users a clean
backend with reasonable defaults. So he adds the mentioned defaultUC and
sets hideCheckbox=1. Then he adds new users to the system.

- Admin upgrades an installation with existing users. He doesn't know
the state of their extendedView settings. So he adds the defaultUC (for
new users), sets hideCheckbox=1 and additionally sets forceEnabled=1 for
user groups or top pages.

In both cases he is sure that extended view is always enabled and the
checkbox is gone. It's even possible to disable the extended view again
for some subpages or groups for whatever reason.

So we have:
- No default change when upgrading if admin doesn't care
- New config mod.web_list.extendedView.hideCheckbox
- New config mod.web_list.extendedView.forceEnabled

BTW: If this solution is accepted I will happily create similar patches
for the localization view, show clipboard, search and show record fields
and will take a look at the filelist module.

Thanks for reviews
Christian