[TYPO3-core] RFC #9745: Add INSTALL.txt to TYPO3 source package

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Feb 16 08:43:00 CET 2009

Hi!

Christopher wrote:
> The following lines are still in the section "installation (recommended)".
> "Linux, Unix and Mac OS X users should use the tar.gz packages and unpack
> them using:
>            tar xzf source-x.y.z
>            tar xzf dummy-x.y.z
>
> Windows users can use Windows built-in unpacker on unpack ZIP versions of
> packages."
> I moved these lines to the part "Obtaining TYPO3" for the reasons I already
> mentioned in my earlier post.
>
> Please have a look, if you can live with that version too. ;-)

Here is a quote from the original message:

> The parts "installation (not recommended)" and "installation recommended"
> are OK, but in these parts you get the information that there are the tar.gz
> and the zip package of source and dummy you could download.
> This information should already be given in the part "Obtaining TYPO3",
> because you have to decide which one to use when downloading the packages.

I think that "unpacking" is not "obtaining". The way to download files is descrbed in "obtaining" section. Unpacking is already a part of the installation. You do not need to unpack if you only want to obtain packages. This is why I kep unpacking where it is.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team