[TYPO3-core] RFC: #10201: Duplicate cHash Values

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Aug 26 16:46:15 CEST 2009

Hi Francois,

Francois Suter schrieb:
> I would like to know if it seems ok to (most of) you if we just indicate
> somewhere (like in core, dev, english and perhaps other mailing lists;
> and maybe also in the core blog or something) that the SVN version of
> RealURL is necessary in order to work with the dev versions of 4.3,
> knowing that an official release will take place in time for 4.3-final.

I'm fine about the blog post but even if I read it, I would probably
forget about the problem during an update some time later...

This situation shows two essential problems of TYPO3 and RealUrl (but
also other extensions):

- RealUrl has a dependency on "typo3 (4.2.6-0.0.0)" - this means "all
  future versions"
- Even if this was fixed and the dependency was up to 4.2.99 only, the
  problem would still arise since TYPO3 does not recheck these
  dependencies once it is installed.

My suggestion is to do the following:
- Make "0.0.0" in version check to become an equivalent for version
"4.2.99". Any future version, but also the kickstarter, should no longer
use "0.0.0" as a version requirement. It is nonsense, and as you see in
Firefox for example, other programs do it better than we.

- Additionally, the dependency check is added to the reports module, so
everyone can check if there is a conflict of his RealUrl version with
the new TYPO3core version.

Both problems should be fixed anyway in order to be safe in the future.

> How does that sound? I would quite like to have opinions from other core
> team members and Olly in particular (as the RM for 4.3).

As I said: Posting about the problem is good, but we should probably do
a bit more than this...

- michael

--
Use a newsreader! Check out