[TYPO3-core] RFC #11684: Add support for flash messages in the backend

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Sun Aug 23 19:27:19 CEST 2009

hi Ingo,

you asked me for a review of this patch
here it is:

we have already some "messaging systems" in the TYPO3 Backend:

1. tcemain printLogErrorMessages()
which collects its messages in the syslog table

2. t3lib_BEfunc::isRecordLocked()
which displays the "locked" icons and the beautyful yellow warning box
on top of editforms.

3. t3lib_BEfunc::displayWarningMessages()
used in alt_intro

and possibly in the future
4. flashMessages

hmm.
don't get me wrong, flashMessages is a step in the right direction but I
fear that it will end up as one of the many other half-usable concepts
in TYPO3.
Id'd like to see an approch to substitute existing things, which are
sometimes more complicated than needed or redundant, by better ways to
do the same.

now some details:
I don't like the fact that each call to popFlashMessages() (= almost
each click) triggers an UPDATE query, no matter if there's something to
update or not.

If I click on web->list this function is called even 2 times (= 2
unneeded queries) because the navframe is reloaded too.

is the navframe supposed to display error messages?
at least in the current implementation both frames will display the same
messages, which doesn't make much sense.

I also don't like this line:

$moduleBody = str_replace('###CONTENT###', $flashMessages .
'###CONTENT###', $moduleBody);

We have templates and markers in backend modules, so please use a
dedicated marker for the messages instead of str_replacing it in the
template.

greets
rupert