[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8399: field tablename in sys_refindex too short

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Thu Aug 13 12:26:29 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> I need to stress this again. Currently, the table sys_refindex CANNOT be
> created on UTF-8 tables (and UTF-8 is what we want) because of this change.
>
> See http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11694 for more information, plus
> see my detailed explanation below.
>
> After reading through this thread, I notice that first it was proposed
> to change the field length to 64 chars until Dmitry suggested that 255
> is possible for varchar. Besides that, I find no reason for using 255.

the reason for choosing 255 was that MySQL doesn't reserve 255Bytes for
the varchar, so it makes no difference using 20,100 or 255.

Where you're right is when a varchar is an index, which normally
shouldn't be the case as it's slows down, so i aggree to your change for
fields used as index.
Further we should look if we can change the indexes for these tables?

vg Steffen