[TYPO3-core] RFC #11474: Store separate extlist for the frontend

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Sun Aug 2 13:51:27 CEST 2009

Hey,

Rupert Germann wrote:
> Type: new feature / performance improvement
>
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11474
>
> Branches: Trunk
>
> Problem:
> If you have a lot of extensions loaded your frontend and backend becomes
> slower and slower.
>
> Solution:
> In order to at least reduce the load a bit we introduce a new parameter to
> the EM_CONF called "doNotLoadInFE".
> If set to "1" this extension will not be included in the extlist to be
> loaded in the frontend.
> This also affects the temp_cached_* files in typo3conf which will also be
> newly created.
>
> there's a followup patch which sets "doNotLoadInFE" in some system
> extensions which are not needed in FE:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11475
>

> info / how to test:
> apply both patches to your source.
> To make the extmanager write the new var $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['EXT'
> ['extList_FE'] to localconf.php disable and re-enable an extension.
>
> if someone has an idea how to make this automagically - let me know.

Maybe the update manager could handle this? This could imho be done with
a new issue.

+1 on reading, testing and profiling.

I'm fine with the negative "doNotLoadInFE"=1 setting in this special
case. Where should we document this new option?

I didn't find any negative side-effects, eg. the "clear configuration
cache" deletes new temp_CACHED_FE* files, too.

Tests where done with a "vanilla" trunk installation on a relatively
slow EEEPC without other services tampering the results. The performance
advantage will reduce dramatically as soon as bigger FE exts (like tv)
are loaded, but has a great effect on simple sites.

Here are my numbers, tested with ab and siege.

before patch, ab:
ab -c1 -n 500 http://192.168.1.115/t3trunk/index.php?id=8

after patch, ab:
ab -c1 -n 500 http://192.168.1.115/t3trunk/index.php?id=8

-> without patch: 100%, after patch: 123%

before patch, siege:
siege -c1 -b -t1 http://192.168.1.115/t3trunk/index.php?id=8
Transaction rate:	       15.13 trans/sec

after patch, siege:
siege -c1 -b -t1 http://192.168.1.115/t3trunk/index.php?id=8
Transaction rate:	       18.32 trans/sec

-> without patch: 100%, after patch: 121%

I think that's worth the effort, even if the advantage won't be that
great in real life environments.

Regards
Christian