[TYPO3-core] RFC: 10964: ExtJs prototype-adapter leads to several IE-errors

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:45:11 CEST 2009

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> that was my first thought too. But obviously the prototype adapter
> doesn't seem to work well for IE especially. May be we found an
> unfriendly combination in core where this get obvious.

(...thinking public...)

May be, yes... I use Prototype adapter on one large latvian portal (do not want to spam its address here). It is an ExtJS portal that it fully configured from TYPO3 (iGoogle- or MyYahoo-like). Sometimes Prototype shows errors in MSIE statusbar but it does not prevent the portal from working. I should probably migrate to ext-base there too but than I have to give up all effects. People like those effects... Someone told me she was opening and closing block just to see how they shrink and expand :)

I think it is better to swtich to ext-base in TYPO3 than to update our code or the adapter. Just less work to do :)

> So second thought was to prevent others who are not aware of this
> problem to use it, they may run in the same problem and don't know how
> to fix.

I tried to imagine how would I act if I were a regular developer, who knows that ExtJS is shipped with TYPO3. Most likely I would make sure for myself that all necessary components for my development are included. So I will go to typo3/contrib/extjs and see what exists there.

Does it make sense so far?

If it does, than here is an idea: what if we put a file named WARNING_README_NOW.txt into typo3/contrib/extjs recommending not to use the Prototype adpater and explaining why? This would stop most developers from using it and warn those who would still like to use it. This way we warned them but give them freedom to make a final decision and be responsible for it.

What do you think?

> BTW - in extJs 3 also jquery adapter is included, in 2 also yui adapter.
> Do you think we should include all adapters even if we don't use them?

While I do not like to bloat the core, I think we should have those too. The more freedom we give, the more attractive we become :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
In TYPO3 blog: http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/have-fun-with-the-typoscript-error-hunt.html