[TYPO3-core] RFC #9284: Feature: tt_content.starttime/endtime have now effect on caching

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Tue Sep 23 10:10:57 CEST 2008

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:

>> If you collect the info in RECORDS and CONTENT you need no extra query
>> at all. Plus you don't get "bogus" inormation from records not rendered
>> at all.
>
> Complicated is the fact that you need to collect info from records not
> rendered at all, for example for those which start-time in future.

I didn't consider this.

> So
> the CONTENT query will already filter those out at SQL-time, but you
> need to look at them too, if you want to calculate the "earliest cache
> expiration time".

But how should this be done? There may be many records available but the
display logic can be arbitrarily complex.

I cannot think of any reliable way to get to that data. Simply taking
all records into account is easy but not necessarily correct.

>> All other stuff can - and must  be handled by extensions via a hook that
>> modifies the page caching time
>
> Extensions (plugins) are also cObjects ("USER"). I thought about
> changing the API of all cObject methods (PAGE, USER, COA, etc) so that
> they return not simply their html-content, but an "object" (to be
> PHP5-OO-conform) which contains not only the content, but also the
> earliest expiration date of the generated content. So that the calling
> object can use that information when calculating his own earliest
> expiration date (as the objects might be nested).

Basically a good idea, but I think that hooks or a simple TSFE property
are more in line with the 4.x architecture.

> I think this also would come in line with the planned project "content
> object caching", which as far as I know has been planned for TYPO3 4.3
> (Stucki, Oli?).

Maybe.

Masi