[TYPO3-core] RFC #9284: Feature: tt_content.starttime/endtime have now effect on caching

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Sep 22 22:46:32 CEST 2008

Martin Holtz schrieb:

>> I would love to have a generic way the rendering process could gather
>> caching expiration information at run-time while it is being generated.
> me too:)
>
>> In general this is a very very complex area and probably a generic and
>> "works-for-all" solution isn't possible at all.
> that is what i think - or, an "works-for-all" solution will have too much
> overhead. The additional select-Query is only used, if we write the page to
> cache.

If you collect the info in RECORDS and CONTENT you need no extra query
at all. Plus you don't get "bogus" inormation from records not rendered
at all.

All other stuff can - and must  be handled by extensions via a hook that
modifies the page caching time

>> Your later addition to use "$GLOBALS['TSFE']->cacheExpires" looks like
>> the right direction to me. cacheExpires currently is only used for
>> cache-headers send to the browsers, as far as I can see. So (mis)using
>> it also for TYPO3 cache expiration might not be intended by this setting.
>
> hm... i see that is all more complicated as i thought:)
> If the page should not be cached, the cacheExpires should be set to 0 - but
> if we use that from an extension we send an wrong cache-header?

I'm not sure if there is a practical reason that an external cache
(proxy/browser) should get another cache time than TYPO3 itself. But
yes, we have to be careful here, what exactly we want to modify,

> i will be back ... one day;)

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Masi