[TYPO3-core] RFC #9172: Bug: Wrong display of deleted owners and groups in web->access->permissions

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Tue Sep 2 21:32:24 CEST 2008

Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Johannes Pieper wrote:
>> This is an SVN patch request.
>>
>> Type: Bugfix
>> Bugtracker references:
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9172
>>
>> Branches:
>> TYPO3_4-2-2-dev Reversion 4037
>>
>> Problem:
>> The number for a deleted  user / group is a htmlspecialchared
>> Solution:
>> Remove the <i> tag and set class "not_set" for these objects.
>
> +1 on reading and testing.
>
> This is a bugday patch and should go to trunk, imho.
>
> Thanks Johannes!
>
> Cheers
> Christian

Hey guys,
I just gave the patch a quick test and it seems to work well for me.  I
haven't made it the code review yet, but had a usability question about
the underlying behavior.  Nothing that was changed with this patch, but
might be an opportunity to tweak the existing behavior.

When a user or group is present, we show the name (ex. admin).  When no
user or group is set, we show "[not set]".  When the user or group has
been assigned and then deleted, we show the uid with an exclamation mark
(ex. [15]!).

To me, "[15]!" doesn't make it clear that the user with uid=15 used to
be assigned but has now been deleted. If you understand this text, it
may sometimes be helpful to know that there was once a user assigned but
it seems like the key thing to communicate is that there are not user
permissions assigned currently.  Would it be more clear to just use
"[not set]" for both empty and invalid values?

It's just a small thing so if I'm better off getting back to the code
review that's fine ;)

Thanks,
jeff