[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #9217: typo3ajax::renderAsXML does not always render XML

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Oct 31 09:04:45 CET 2008

Hi,

> * For 4.3 add the option with both possibilities, make this option
> deprecated though. In addition, make all BE-AJAX-Calls in the Core set
> up with the new version (a lot of people take the core for reference on
> how to write AJAX calls in the BE)
> * In 4.5 remove the old option.
>
> Think of people who write AJAX extensions for TYPO3. They'd need to
> provide different code for their extension to return on a AJAX call for
> 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. That must stink.
>
> Another option that just comes to my mind:
> * Actually wrap the whole thing in a type of <t3ajax> tag, because we
> need a "document" for the XML that is returned from the AJAX call to
> properly process the code, so the array2xml does not give us one main
> "document" root node when returning. For this case, we really should
> break compatibility (although I really don't like that).

I'm not sure I really want to push this issue anymore. After I updated
the core docs for 4.2, I realised that it's actually written clearly
that renderAsXML expects the content to already be XML. So while I found
this an unexpected behaviour it's actually documented.

So I don't plan to work on this bug again. If no one speaks up for it, I
will mark it as "won't fix" in the bug tracker in a few days.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter