[TYPO3-core] RFC #9505: Make the caches in TYPO3 use the new caching framework

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Oct 29 11:30:26 CET 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 28.10.2008 23:18:

>> The "UPDATE" problem is quite a blocker in my eyes, but you are right
>> that this is not "your problem" in this patch. But I would like to see
>> the patch to fix that issue of the real soon, maybe even before some
>> release (alpha1), because the side-effect of not updating the cache
>> table will probably be a not-used new caching system, making it hard for
>> folks to test it (or add a note to the alpha1 release to "DROP
>> cache_hash" before upgrading, if there is no time to fix the database
>> compare stuff.
>
> This is what I had to do to get the table right:
>
> * clear table - wouldn't work otherwise!
> * add field without auto_increment
> * add key
> * add field with auto_increment
>
> I don't think that the installer will ever be able to do stuff like that.

I think it also works like this. Start by doing a:

DROP PRIMARY KEY;

then continue "as usual". The current installer is already DROP PRIMARY
KEY, but only in the "Changing fields" which is done after "Adding fields".

We "just" need to change it to be done before doing anything to the
table. And of course this can only be done if the primary key wasn't an
"auto_increment" before, because in this case we cannot simply drop the
primary key (the field has to be changed to "non-auto-increment" first).

> To make things easier I think we should simply use new tables. It saves
> us from adding IMHO superfluous stuff to the installer (the change is
> far from being a standard change). As any old will break anyway with the
> new table layout we can simply create a new one and discard the old.

Yes, that was my thinking to start with, before Ingo said that the issue
would be solved by Stucki in the installer "anyway". :)

> But SOMETHING has to be done. Maybe not for the alpha (even then an
> upgrade note would be nice as the change is not so trivial), but
> definitively  for the first beta.

Yes. Ingo promised that it will be done. ;)

Cheers,
Ernesto