[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9439: New Element Wizard has no option for hiding Elements via pageTS

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 21 16:54:20 CEST 2008

Hi Steffen,

this is an interesting patch. The intension is good, but this is somehow
incomplete, as you figured out yourself.

Templavoila comes with a rather "old" copy of the wizard
(mod1/db_new_content_el.php), which should be made "obsoleted", as soon
as templavoila can use functions from TYPO3 core and not copy and modify
them. The API for the Wizard should be:

For templavoila and also the page module with multiple-columns, the
"context" to decide which elements to display doesn't have only to do
with the page the user is in, but also where the user clicked to create
a new content element (in templavoila the "xml-path", in regular TYPO3
the "column"). We need to be able to pass this kind of "context"
information to the wizard, so that it can call extensions that will
handle the context information (to hide or add elements to the wizard).

So for example Templavoila could generate a link:

db_new_content_el.php?id=10&tx_templavoila[parentRecord]=tt_content:62:sDEF:lDEF:field_content:vDEF:1

whereas the page module will create a link like:

db_new_content_el.php?id=10&tx_cms[colPos]=0&tx_cms[uid_pid]=-601&...

The wizard itself would then call some hook, where the pertaining
extensions will be allowed to manipulate the complete list of elements
presented by the wizard.

The web_page module might use the hook, deciding which elements to hide
 from pageTS configuration. Templavoila might decide it through some
XML-setting in the parents DS.

In your patch, the web_page part is being handled, but this is currently
not context sensitive, thus I would at least handle the colPos context
that is already available. Although the wizard can also be called
without that context information, where it presents the column chooser
after the content element selection. Maybe this is an HCI issue. :)

Cheers,
Ernesto