[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9758: Write Configuration to extTables.php

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Nov 10 10:01:43 CET 2008

Francois Suter wrote:
> One thing however, which is definitely wrong with this patch is that the
> name "extTables.php" is *not* hard-coded. It is defined in
> localconf.php, with the following statement:
>
> $typo_db_extTableDef_script = 'extTables.php';

I just mentioned the same in the bugtracker record, didn't notice that
this RFC was already posted.

> This means that:
>
> 1) it may have another name, so you should use the above variable

True.

> 2) this variable may actually be blank, so there's no extTables.php file
> at all.

True as well. Here are my suggestions:

a) Set typo3conf/extTables.php as the default value, so it is _always_
   enabled

b) If it's not enabled by default, only show the write buttons if the
   value is set

> I'm quite positive about the feature you suggest, but you need to take
> into account the $typo_db_extTableDef_script variable. What I would
> suggest is that you make your script capable of understanding the
> "EXT:blabla" syntax, so that the TCA modifications could actually be
> saved to an extension where such changes already reside. Does that make
> sense?

Yes, it does. However, you would then probably need to make sure that
the file is not included twice (1st when extension is loaded, 2nd when
$typo_db_extTableDef_script is loaded).

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out