[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8503: TCA input with property checkbox can't be removed

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon May 26 17:37:00 CEST 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1.1211808908.22141.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
>> Hi!
>>
>> Well, this worked like that for ages. I used it many times because it is
>> known behavior and people already know how it works. I see no reason to
>> change it. Let it stay compatible as it is. Don't change conventions just
>> because you do not like them.
>>

> it should be allowed to make some critical notes, even if it's used for
> years :-)

Absolutely agree! :)

Many things can (and should!) be critisized! But changing them is another story. We can ~enhance~ them (like providing TSConfig way to modify/remove them) but changing well-known thing is fully different story...

> hm. looks complicate. The syntax of > is clearing a property, which works in
> normal TS, so why don't make it working instead of finding new properties to
> achieve the same?

Well, it is not just clearing but clearing ~existing~ property. In case of TSConfig property does not exist if you do not set it explicitly. So when parsing TS, parser will check the property, see that it is not set and will do nothing. And it cannot be caught :(

But your original point is completely logical. ">" looks perfectly fine for removing the checkbox. Though implementing it would not be easy. It needs setting TS properties for each control before parsing TSConfig and checking if they are still set after parsing TSConfig (if not set - removing checkbox). It looks like going from Berlin to Elmshorn through New Zealand.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team