[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8399: field tablename in sys_refindex too short

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed May 14 16:52:11 CEST 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> i discussed that with olly and we tried to find the "longest" possible name
> for a table and ended up with 61 :)
>
> So i thought if i use varchar(255) that this space is reserved in each
> record internally so table size is growing more than needed. If it's not,
> please correct me.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/char.html

1 (or 2) byte(s) + length of data. As far as I know if record is updated, it is always written into the new space in database file (regardless of longer or shorter varchar or char values). So no need to worry...

I do not insist on 255, I just thought there is no need for artificial limitations such as 32 or 64 or 80 :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team