[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8609: "Select plugin"-select is too small

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Wed Jun 11 10:13:33 CEST 2008

"Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]" <ernst at cron-it.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1213169430.25925.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Steffen Kamper wrote: on 10.06.2008 09:23:
>> small improvement, because in german it was too small after the change.
>>
>> * took 280px
>> * added missing padding-left to the icons
>
> Where does the 280px comes from? Is that a "magic number"? It seems that
> this is label-size dependent, isn't it? Won't this stop working as sonn as
> there are even larger option items?
>
> Isn't there a cleaner way of doing that instead of using a fixed
> min-width?

Hi Ernesto,

yes, 280 is a magic number :-)
There is no real way to make it dynamic without replacing the select with
divs like extJS does. I searched for a good prototype replacement, but the
solutions i found wasn't good enough for usage.

Up to then, and hopefully for 4.3 it's a compromise having the select as
large as the normal plugin names /select items in other languages fits in
the select, and german is one of the language using largest words.

vg Steffen