[TYPO3-core] RFC #5045, #5077, #8649: Import/Export requires lot of memory

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri Jul 25 11:31:29 CEST 2008

Martin Kutschker schrieb:

> Because it makes me wait longer. And I would want that feature for any
> archiver: don't compress files that match a certain pattern. Why bother
> compressing already compressed files?

Because it's hard to tell if a file is compressed.

For example not all PNGs need to be compressed. You could have a tar.gz archive having
set the compression level to 0 which just creates a tar wrapped into a gz container but not
doing any compression (probably just deflate) ...

> Do you think my scheme would be so hard to implement? I guessed it would
> be rather easy to modify your currents scheme so that it arranges the
> files in a certain order.

How should I distingush between compressed and not compressed files - I think it is not
worth the time.

>> The script should run for a specific amount of time - it can check when
>> the script-timeout will occur. And before this happens it stores
>> everything to disk, sends HTML with a "refresh" JS-code, and loads
>> itself again ... this way you can create scripts which can handle really
>> a lot of data, and avoid script-timeout by reloading it. It would even
>> be possible to give some kind of progress-bar on reload.
>
> Now, *that* sounds complicated. Maybe this can be done better with a
> view AJAX calls. I don't trust self-refreshing URLs.

Yes. Of course AJAX would also be an option - no - be even better. refresh was just my first
tought. But then you would have the option to export/import almost "unlimited" large trees.

But as I told: Step #2 ...

> Great. But I'd welcome if you would also review my smaller
> contributions. I think I have some stuff pending on this list as well.
> As do others...

Send me a personal email with links bug# to some of your patches you would like to get reviews.
I can have a look at them today in the afternoon, evening ...

not I am off for 3 hours.

greets,
Bernhard
--
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit des Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg, 1871-1919