[TYPO3-core] RFC #9017: LICENSE.txt is not precise

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Jul 21 19:06:05 CEST 2008

Hi!

This is SVN patch request.

Branches: 4.1, 4.2, trunk

BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9017

Problem: LICENSE.txt does not mention that TYPO3 is released under "GPL version 2 *or later*". This is extremely important because GPL version 3 code cannot be combined with GPL version 2 code unless "version 2 or later" is declared. Our source code says "version 2 or later" but LICENSE.txt does not. Since LICENSE.txt is the obvious candidate to check the license, it should be precise.

Here is a quote from GPL FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility) on the version issue:
Is GPLv3 compatible with GPLv2?

    No. Some of the requirements in GPLv3, such as the requirement to provide Installation Information, do not exist in GPLv2. As a result, the licenses are not compatible: if you tried to combine code released under both these licenses, you would violate section 6 of GPLv2.

    However, if code is released under GPL “version 2 or later,” that is compatible with GPLv3 because GPLv3 is one of the options it permits.

Solution: the attached path.

***Note*** I want Stucki's +1 on this patch because it is important enough to be authorized by core team team leader.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team