[TYPO3-core] RFC: Feature Request #7139: Integration of fe_users password encryption

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Mon Jan 14 21:01:39 CET 2008

Hi Steffen,

great you're having a solution to this one as well!

There's just one point I'd like to add: The security team is currently
planning to use a "salt" string for the MD5 generation for Backend
passwords and this is definitely something that should be used here as
well. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_%28cryptography%29

The point is basically that you don't just do md5($password) but instead
md5($password.'some random string') and what you then save in the
database is (a) the resulting md5 and (b) the random string you used as
the salt (in an additional feeld called "password_salt" for example).

The idea is to make it harder to recover the original password from the MD5.

I think it's important that this is in the md5 feuser password
protection from the start on, because adding it later on just makes
things incompatible.

cheers
Ingmar

--