[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #7096: Consistent interface for AJAX calls in the TYPO3 Backend

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Mon Jan 7 12:21:18 CET 2008

Hey all,

this is a SVN patch request.

Type: feature

Branches: trunk only

BT Reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=7096

Problem:
Whenever people wanted to have AJAX in the Backend, they had to reinvent
the wheel (with an ajax=1 param or something like that). This is very
problematic once we have more and more parts in the Backend that are
AJAXified.

Solution:
A new interface as a first step into consistency for AJAX calls in the
TYPO3 Backend. It consists of two parts. The server-side component
(typo3/ajax.php with a TYPO3AJAX instance from
typo3/classes/class.typo3ajax.php) and a client-side part, connected to
the AJAX objects of the prototype framework that is extended by generic
responders (typo3/js/common.js) to handle errors. I also rewrote the
pagetree AJAX part to work with the new interface as a first example.

Notes:
There is a documentation part that I wrote, we can create a new document
for this or add it to TYPO3 Core APIs, after we shaped it right :)

Yes, it's not perfect yet, that's why I need some feedback, then I will
fix the missing parts:
* Filetree is still using old code and therefore is not working properly
right now, will be fixed for final commit.
* Nice error outputting (with a generic notification area in the
Backend) is still missing, but the alert() output is IMHO working for now.

--
greetings,
benni.

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org