[TYPO3-core] RFC #7626: Date/time handling is completely broken in 4.2

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Sun Feb 24 14:25:08 CET 2008

"Martin Kutschker" <martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1203858170.10376.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...

> Why do you need the offset of the server? ... ah ... if you want to show
> the time in the TZ of the server and not in the TZ of the client. But do
> we want that? As long as it is clear it's not a problem, but it should be
> defined (possibly configurable) in what TZ the date/times are shown and
> edited in the BE. Otherwise the whole transfer of date/times in UTC is
> pointless.
>
> Masi

One more argument for saving dates in servers timezone is that nearly all
extensions use time() to set times.
This is always the servers timezone.

Doing this all the time should be no problem because you can calculate any
offset by knowing the servers timezone.

moving the site to a different server with different timezone, all time
values has to be converted to the new servers timezone to have a correct
behaviour.

vg  Steffen