[TYPO3-core] SVN closed for now, do not commit!

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 23:02:37 CET 2008

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Do we now have a beta3 or not? I guess that not only me but some other
> folks are not terribly happy that their feature path posted this week
> will go to "limbo" (... 4.3 in 2009).

I'm actually think we should aim for a 4.3 release later this year; but
that's another story. Whether or not we'll have a Beta 3 will have to be
decided by Ingo, but I don't think it makes a big difference: The 4.2
branch is already feature frozen, no matter if the next release will be
called Beta or RC.

> How about a change of the whole procedure of "feature freeze". We need
> to have two deadlines. The first one defines a date after that no new
> features may be presented on the list. The next one (the real one, eg 2
> weeks later) defines a point in time after that no features may be
> commited to SVN.

I don't know if that makes sense. A lot of ideas for features evolve
spontaneously, and I think it's always very productive if we open up for
those patches for the time before feature freeze. Concerning your
patches, one of the reason that not all of them made it into SVN until
now is probably just that the patch is ready only so shortly before the
deadline, even though the commit frame for features for TYPO3 4.2 was huge.

> I thought that maybe Stucki, who had proposed the original
> patch, would have a glance at my proy patch.

Probably busy like all of us some times...

> PS: Why is 4.2 a branch in SVN before RC1 is out? I remmeber the same
> fuss for 4.1 and thought we delayed the branching part.

The problem with 4.1 was the other way around: In order not to have to
maintain two branches at the same time, we decided to only branch
directly prior to the release for 4.1. So we actually created the branch
AFTER the RC phase. For 4.2, the branch has been created at the same
time as feature freeze, which seems to be regarded as the correct way to
go. However, now that we have locked trunk for the time we're so
actively working in the 4.2 branch, we could just as well have kept on
working in trunk, which would have had the advantage that it's easier to
"blame" bugs on specific commits at the time when e.g. TYPO3 4.4 is out
and you're digging into a bug that had been introduced in the Beta phase
before 4.2. Now that we have locked trunk, and develop in TYPO3_4-2, all
developments will finally be merged into trunk with one single commit,
which makes it hard to know who's responsible for which line of code.

cheers
Ingmar

--
Ingmar Schlecht