[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7573: Page properties: Make author and author_email visible instantly

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Feb 19 16:53:51 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

Hey Dmitry,

> To say it quickly:
> - current GUI design is not made with HCI in mind (it ignores certain
> HCI concepts)

which concepts exactly? can you name them?

> - there is a lot of redundancy (several ways to switch to List module or
> do page actions)
> - different parts of BE are not synchronised with each other (for
> example, switching to List module leaves left menu in the previous module)

I agree with you in this point as I've noticed that, too. However
they're not new but just more prominent now that the docheader drwas
attention to them.

I think we should remove them (maybe even before beta2) and leave only
one way to switch modules -  the module menu. Another advantage that
comes with that is deduced code once we get around and remove(!) the
according parts that generate these buttons and usually also check for
access rights before adding these buttons...

These big ugly buttons in the page module are set to be removed, too -
totally redundant...

> Instead, I afraid,
> developers focused on adding technical innovations and forgot that
> people do not care much about how challenging it was for developer to
> make a function, they care about convenience of the function.

as I said before - nothing was invented here, these things just got more
prominence through the docheader...

> And convenience, I am sorry, is not there.

Not true, just some overload!

> But I think it went without proper supervision and
> therefore did not make expected result.

Not true, just because you might not see all the communication that is
going on, doesn't mean that there isn't any.

> There are a lot of new styles.
> But there is no "Clean BE". This is what frightens me. We got more and
> more things in GUI (tabs, columns, etc) but it is not becoming any less
> editor-oriented.

Well, we had to start somewhere, right? You also know that we can't do
any voodoo magic, right? We will keep improving... but somewhere we also
need to come to a point where we say "this is a state we can release and
we can build on".
I also think that we can iron out UI glitches up to some point with
4.2.x releases.

> It becomes a sport for programmers. This is what I
> afraid of.

Don't think so.

> Sorry if I still offend anyone. People, I really do not. But I am really
> care about it. Just like you do. We are al in one team, so we should get
> it all sorted...

it for sure will sort out...

all the best
Ingo