[TYPO3-core] Cleanup of some PHP 5 notes

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Thu Feb 7 11:30:19 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Stucki wrote:
>> @Masi: Does anything speak against setting "iconv" as default method
>> for charset handling/processing? From what I can see it just depends
>> on PHP 5, but I am not sure if there are any drawbacks with it - apart
>> from the performance increasement...

It might not be compiled in. I would try to add an auto-detection to the
1-2-3 wizard that looks for iconv and mb_string.

> (...looking for a mask to look like Masi...)

Use wig for longer hair and put on a false beard and glasses if you can
find them.

> I remember that it slower than mb_string. But it supports a little more
> encodings than mb_string.
>
> If not a big secret, why do you want iconv as default? :) Just curious :)

Looks more "official" than mb_string, I guess. The latter had always a kind
of hacked together appearance.

As iconv is not very forgiving with broken data *, I'd refer mb_string as a
default.

Masi

* iconv stops when it ecnounters an illal character. This mean that
iso-8559-1 is REALLY iso-8559-1. Any windows-1252 character will make it
choke. As Windows pastes only to happily the Euro sign and typograhic
quotes into forms served as iso-8859-1 this may lead to troubles.