[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix bug #5152: "Duplicate entry" in cache_pagesection when using frames

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Feb 4 08:52:29 CET 2008

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Are you thinking if this would solve the duplicate error? No I don't think
> so, as the problem was not just caused by a random conflict.

Short md5 sometimes cause more problems than it solves. There were duplicate errors in realurl due to short md5 usage. Take a look to resolved realurl bugs. There were lots of duplicate entries due to short md5. In fact, the whole concept of "short md5" is invalid and comes from improper understanding of md5. It is totally wrong to take a part of md5 and assume it would be unique. It is the same like saying that €300 is as good as as €300000 ("we just cut some digits but meaning does not change").

The best thing we can do is never ever use short md5 again.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team