[TYPO3-core] RFC #9460: Feature: Add the ability of including external files to includeJS/getFileName

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Dec 23 11:22:12 CET 2008

Hi,

>> I'm not happy with the regexp allowing absolute pathes (Unix style
>> only). It's not in the line of the TYPO3 code to allow file access
>> outside of the TYPO3 source and data directories.
>
> I understand your concern. It will, however, be nice to be able to
> include CSS and JavaScript from absolute urls on the server, e.g. if you
> have multiple TYPO3 installations in subdirectories that use some shared
> JavaScript libraries on the server (a local copy of YUI
> (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/), say).

I use a shared TYPO3 core for all my websites and I do it using symbolic
links. Why should I start using absolute directories for YUI? I may
create a /fileadmin/libraries/yui symbolic link and then no absolute
directory will be needed anymore.

If for some reason I have to update my shared library for all websites
except for one, it's easy to copy the old version to a real directory
and remove the symbolic link. My website will still work without having
to update the TS.

> I appreciate your comments, and I hope we can find a good solution for
> including external CSS and JavaScript resources and, thus, make use of
> Google hosting a lot of JavaScript libraries
> [http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/].

Symbolic links are your friend ;-)

--
Xavier Perseguers