[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9562: Feature: onChange has no effect

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Dec 22 13:13:16 CET 2008

Hi!

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> What's the state of this RFC?

It should be canceled because "onChange" works only in flexforms by design. We could change the design but than we create another problem: we get a duplicate functionality in regular forms. It also breaks one of the usability laws: "One way to do one task".

According to design "requestUpdate" is available for normal forms only. It is not available in flexforms because flexforms do not have "ctrl" section. In flexforms we added "onChange" for each field. Adding "onChange" to regular forms makes "requestUpdate" questionable ("What should I use: requestUpdate or onChange? What's the difference? Why there are two different ways to make the same thing?"). At the same time flexforms will not get any equivalent of "requestUpdate", so the logic is still broken.

I suggest to keep it as it is now and cancel the RFC.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team