[TYPO3-core] FYI72: #9947: gzip compression does not work in BE at all

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Dec 15 10:43:04 CET 2008

Hi!

Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> BTW, where does the "FYI72" prefix come from? I think you made it appear
> when the bugtracker was down as accounts were locked down but why don't
> you use standard RFC?

FYI72 means that patch will be commited to the SVN in 72 hours (3 days) if there are no objections against it. It was introduced after the discussion at T3TD in Berlin. It is only for small patches, that are obvious but not no–brainers. Developer takes extra responsibility for checking the patch, of course.

There is also "FYI" prefix, which is to inform the list that something was committed directly (a formatting change or a no–brainer).

There are some pieces of code that other people do not or cannot check due to environment/hardware/software issues. This is where FYI/FYI72 is handy too. For example, Stanislas works with HTMLArea, he is guru in this subject and we can trust him on FYI for HTMLArea changes. Currently I maintain Memcached backend for TYPO3, so I took liberty of using FYI72 for it too because no one else has Memcached setup to verify patches. Without FYI72 many patches will stuck here forever. So I make Memcached patch, test it for several days while working with TYPO3 daily, post here and commit. This is how it works :)

These two tags can be used only by core developers because only core developers can commit to core SVN.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team