[TYPO3-core] RFC #8070: Feature: CSS styled content / scalable rendering of images

Ralf Hettinger ng at ralfhettinger.de
Thu Dec 11 16:39:18 CET 2008

Hi!

Am 11.12.2008 10:43 schrieb Franz Koch:
> I'd like to see typo3 beeing able to use any dimension unit for any size
> value, like:
>
> width = 50%
> space = 1em|1em

I'd like to see that as well - but am still not quite sure, if it would
be feasible to let TYPO3 calculate % values. I doubt that it could be as
simple as calculating em or ex values...

> so a parser determing the unit and calculate the rest based on it. To
> get that working you would of course need to define pixel based
> reference values for every unit.

Well. This doesn't sound that simple for me regarding to easy
configuration via TS and/or algortihmic handling... and I doubt the idea
is ready for this list - so there's at least one more thread at dev-list
- thanks for pointing to.

>>> You mean you want to use simply the intrinsic dimensions of the image
>>> and neither use the sytle nor width/height attributes?
>>
>> Exactly. Have a look at www.barmer.de (has been awarded with german
>> BIENE award for accessibility and I'm impressed by the idea - try to
>> "simulate" a very small resolution like 800px in width in total and
>> watch the images scale down automatically) - they do it that way (if
>> this was TYPO3, it would require a very decent configuration, though...)
>
> wouldn't be that difficult I think. Have a look to the dev-list where
> "grac" asked for the feature of this patch (topic:  [Fwd: Re: text/img
> and img elements with css-class?]). In my answer/question in this topic
> from some minutes ago I wrote some thoughts on how a support for
> something like on the barmer website could work.

Finally my point then would be - hoping to get some feedback from this
list ;) :

I think, what could be made ready for the core right now without
something that at least I for myself would have the time for before long
is a feature that

- allows flexibility in units (em/ex/whatsoever) when rendering images

- doing some simple linear scaling for the dimensions if this is
eventually wanted

- possibility to omit dimension parameters completely for some layout
that would have to be styled in own css definitions (e.g. for realizing
some percentage-based layout).

>>> Percentage of what? I don't think that size of the surrounding container
>>> will get you any reasonable results with generated code. Maybe if you
>>> have columns with a fixed pixels size, but then the % doesn't make sense
>>> either.
>>
>> This as well is an idea (maybe more a wild guess) which came to mind
>> after watching the above mentioned site and peeking at the CSS.
>
> yes - using % for image scaling would really be something nice. Much
> better than the em-concept that doesn't convince me at all.

I prefer the usage of % as well.
Though I wouldn't say some at least scalable concept doesn't has
anything good ;)

Cheers Ralf