[TYPO3-core] RFC #8070: Feature: CSS styled content / scalable rendering of images

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Thu Dec 11 10:43:55 CET 2008

Hey guys,

>> But the change should be easy. Anyway, to be forward compatible I advise
>> not to use any boolean switches like useEM, but something like
>> "dimUnit", "dimensionUnit" or simply "unit". The possible values are
>> "px" (the default), "em" and "ex".
>
> That would be a good thing, agreed.

I'd like to see typo3 beeing able to use any dimension unit for any size
value, like:

width = 50%
space = 1em|1em

so a parser determing the unit and calculate the rest based on it. To
get that working you would of course need to define pixel based
reference values for every unit.

>>> - to omit all dimensional units (which will be easy) and
>> You mean you want to use simply the intrinsic dimensions of the image
>> and neither use the sytle nor width/height attributes?
>
> Exactly. Have a look at www.barmer.de (has been awarded with german
> BIENE award for accessibility and I'm impressed by the idea - try to
> "simulate" a very small resolution like 800px in width in total and
> watch the images scale down automatically) - they do it that way (if
> this was TYPO3, it would require a very decent configuration, though...)

wouldn't be that difficult I think. Have a look to the dev-list where
"grac" asked for the feature of this patch (topic:  [Fwd: Re: text/img
and img elements with css-class?]). In my answer/question in this topic
from some minutes ago I wrote some thoughts on how a support for
something like on the barmer website could work.

>>> - maybe some approach to output percentage units (I'm not sure if this
>>> would make any sense and how it could be calculated reasonably - any
>>> ideas or experiences here?)
>> Percentage of what? I don't think that size of the surrounding container
>> will get you any reasonable results with generated code. Maybe if you
>> have columns with a fixed pixels size, but then the % doesn't make sense
>> either.
>
> This as well is an idea (maybe more a wild guess) which came to mind
> after watching the above mentioned site and peeking at the CSS.

yes - using % for image scaling would really be something nice. Much
better than the em-concept that doesn't convince me at all.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch