[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9863: [Feature] Adding sysext tsbrowser

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Wed Dec 3 10:03:42 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Uschi Renziehausen wrote:
>> the most important change difference to me is that you *see* your
>> current settings, i.e. what is the result of what all those extensions
>> and you yourself have done to your template! In the normal tsbrowser you
>> see each and every option, which is not helpfull when you just want to
>> know what your config key results in.
>
> TS object browser shows final TS: your own TS overrides TS provided
> by extensions. Or do you mean something different?

This is exactly what I mean.

>> And you have it where you need it: directly beneath under your setup
>> area, you just need scroll a little up and down, and all you want is at
>> your hand.
>
> How does it help you in your work? I am interested in practical
> value for people other than me.

OK, here my usual scenario: you are somewhere in your pagetree and want
to adapt certain parts of your template. Now, with Steffens ext, you can
   quickly browse to the path you want, copy it to your textarea, change
it's value and your are done without ever leaving your textarea.

Once I detected the TSConfig browser, I loved it because it solved a lot
of riddles for me. Would be nice when that one would not be hidden under
Configuration btw., but at the same place where Steffens tsbrowser is
now. At least I usually open up a second window/tab to have it at hand
when adapting my tsconfig for a certain page.
And yes, I could do with a TSConfig browser that also shows me what user
  TSConfig might have an influence on what I see.

> And I still would like to know why cannot such extension be
> installed by you from TER ;)

Well, of course I am able to install it from TER, but template
TypoScript and TSConfig are what you have to do with from your first
typo3 site onwards without any ext installed. So convenient ways to deal
with it should be provided by the core itself. Franz H stated in a
posting further up that he thinks it sufficient "to write some
documentation about additional Core enhancing extensions, maybe also as
help text". Thinking back to my first half year with typo3 I must say
that I disagree with him here. Especially beginners are completely lost
in the documentation, and you will not install an ext before you have
understood what ts is for. You might go the irc channel or the news
groups and there you might get the tip. In my eyes that adds complexity.

I hope I could unwind the foldings of my brain in an understandable way.

Kind regards, Uschi