[TYPO3-core] FYI: Added feature #4686:Remove dependency of htmlArea RTE Spell Checker on php extension mbstring

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Aug 28 11:12:53 CEST 2008

Stanislas Rolland schrieb:
> FYI: The attached SVN patch was committed.
>
> Type:
> Feature
>
> Problem:
> htmlArea RTE Spell Checker requires PHP to be compiled with mbstring,
> but mbstring is not so commonly installed.
>
> Solution:
> Aspell does not support spell checking of Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Lao,
> Thai and Chinese. I think this excludes all double-byte charsets.
> Therefore I think that we can drop the mbstring requirement and assume
> that the contents of the RTE is single-byte. Manual is updated accordingly.

This works with applying the u modifier to preg_replace when using
utf-8? It's probably ok since the word itself is not really checked in a
patter but the word boundaries. The boundaries could be a problem for
languages that are not supported anyway.

Just a note if something should break so you'll now where to look.

Masi