[TYPO3-core] RFC #8578: Umlauts get displayed wrong in Web>Access module after updating rights

Tobias Liebig mail_news at etobi.de
Thu Aug 7 21:26:37 CEST 2008

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix

Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8578

Branches: 4.2, trunk

Note:
we had this issue already right before releasing 4.2.1, but postponed
the latest patch in favor of a better solution. And here we go!

Problem:
(Reported by Susanne Moog)
When updating user or group permissions inline in web>access ->
permissions the umlauts are displayed wrong (see screenshot). If you
change the module and then go back, everything is ok again. So it is
saved correctly, only displayed wrong.

Problem (technical point of view):
Currently the JavaScript sends a string with the uiser-id and the
username via ajax to the Server. The PHP-Skript splits this string up an
return the new markup (containing the username) to the client where it
got displayed.
Unfortunately the ajax-request does not respect the current charset and
thus german umlauts and other special chars get scrambled.

Solution:
The attached patch.
now the javascript does not contain the username nor grouptitle and thus
we go without the urldecode stuff on server side. Instead we read the
username/grouptitle from the database and pass it to the client.

thanks to susanne for reporting and testing so far and thanks to benni
to help with and discuss about this solution (some weeks/month ago ;-) )

regards
  tobias