[TYPO3-core] RFC #7906: Add icon to selected entry (currently icons are only shown in dropdown)

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Apr 23 06:03:39 CEST 2008

Jeff Segars wrote:
> Kasper Ligaard wrote:
>> This is an SVN patch request.
>>         Type: UI improvement/consistency
>>
>> Bugtracker references: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=7962
>> (screenshot attached to issue).
>>         Branches: TYPO3_4-2
>>
>> Problem:
>> Dropdown boxes shown icons in the dropdown menu only, i.e. when you open
>> the dropdown box, you see icons; when the dropdown box is closed there
>> is no icon.
>>
>> Solution:
>> The attached patch adds the necessary style attribute to the <select>
>> element, so that the icon is also shown when the dropdown box is closed.
>>         Notes:
>> - As the patch only adds a style attribute, the risk is very low.
>> - The icons are not shown in Opera (with or without the patch - it's an
>> Opera thing).
>>         Regards, Kasper
>
> I'm having some issues with this in Safari (and the latest Webkit nightly).
>
> When the dropdown is opened, icons do not show up, which has always been
> the case and isn't a big deal.  When its closed, we do get an icon now
> but it overlaps the text.
>
> See attached screenshot.  I know, who uses Safari? ;)

After staring at the icon / select text overlap in Webkit for a couple
weeks (see screenshot from previous post), it finally bugged me enough
to look deeper into it. It seems that Safari doesn't support any kind of
padding on the selected text. It's a known bug but there hasn't been any
action on the bugtracker in a long time that I can see.

I'm attaching a one line patch that hides the icon completely in Webkit
by setting the -webkit-background-size to 0.  Definitely hack-ish, but
it looks like some form of browser targeting is the only way to fix this.

It's only a minor visual issue that will affect a small percentage of
users but if there's any interest in including it, I'll be happy to add
an RFC for it.

Thanks,
Jeff