[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bugfix #4186 GIFBUILDER cropsized images have bad quality

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Apr 13 22:58:49 CEST 2008

Hi Masi & Ingo,

>> Ingo Renner wrote:
>>>
>>> well, AFAIR it's still the version that works best - remember Kasper's
>>> complaints about IM changing their API all the time in some core
>>> documentation? ;-)

He's right, and that's why we're recommending GraphicsMagick at all places
nowadays.

There is no need to use IM 4.2.9 anymore - even more since it is not
maintained anymore (AFAIR they are only working on IM6 and nothing below
this number, which makes perfect sense IMHO).

> I know this comment, but I still think it's time to move on. But maybe
> someone can find out what exactly breaks when it comes to cropping.

Ingo, can we still raise the requirements for 4.2 and simply drop IM 4.x
from that list?

>> AFAIR graphicsmagick is the best tool for image manipulation.
>
> They're still active? They seemed to be very silent for a while.

Well, it's a mature piece of software, and I don't see any need for new
features (at least not for us).

However, it's still maintained in terms of security and bugfixes, and the
latest version was just released on February 24, 2008.

For us, that's just an ideal component to work with.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out