[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7854: Docheader: moving function menu to the left in second row

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Tue Apr 1 22:48:08 CEST 2008

"Francois Suter" <fsuter at cobweb.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1207055691.1297.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi all,
>
>> It was discussed in HCI and with Ingo and Patrick, and there is a
>> consense
>> about moving the Func Menu from the far east to the second row on the
>> left
>>
>> The second row now starts with
>> CSH - FUNCTION MENU - PATHINFO
>
> Since leaving this fix out of 4.2 was really bothering me I took time to
> work on it. The attached patch is an updated version of Steffen's
> previous patches and takes into accounts the remarks about the necessary
> padding below the function menus.
>
> Note that to solve this, it was necessary to introduce a div around the
> function menu markers, so as to be able to apply a negative top margin,
> the only way to force the select tag back higher, since it was being
> pushed down by a padding-top: 6px in the main container (and removing
> that padding created an awful mess). This required also putting a div
> around the CSH marker, so that all those divs could be floated left.
>
> I haven't tested this patch with IE, because I don't have one available
> right now, so I hope someone can test that.
>
> I hope it can make it into RC1, because it is a real usability
> improvement and has already been discussed in the HCI list.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> Francois Suter
> Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch

Hi Francois,

thx for the patch. +1 by testing and reading.

As the dynamic docheader is postponed for 4.3 i see this as a good way for
usability.
In 4.1 selects were on the left, and with your patch they are back to the
left, great! People are used to look to the left side for the function menu,
but this was all discussed in HCI-list.

I would be very lucky if this could get in.

vg  Steffen