[TYPO3-core] RFC: minify JavaScript

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Sep 11 20:08:47 CEST 2007

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 11.09.2007 18:03:

>> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote: on 11.09.2007 12:50:
>>
>>> Solution: use JSMin library (Expat (MIT) license, compatible with GPL)
>>> to minify javascript. Catch errors and return unminified script if error
>>> happens. It is safe because JSMin was around for ages and used by many
>>> products nowadays. Result is cached, so no real impact on performance.
>>>

>> Cool stuff, it works. +1 for the addition.

>> Opinios?
>
> rtehtmlarea currently uses hand-made compressed JS files. I think this
> could be rewritten to to use JSMin. Especially as rtehtmlare copies its
> JS files to typo3temp anyway.
>
> I guess that will make it easier to maintain its JS code.

That would be my next wish, to transfer the method from rtehtmlarea
which creates the md5ed versions of supplied javascripts and stores them
in typo3temp to t3lib_div so that everyone can use that method (also
extensions). That method could also make use of minifier, if enabled. So
we would need a switch for that in LOCAL_CONF also....

I thought I had written that already, but it seems that I have dreamt it.

Would do that, but only next week or later.. so if anyone is interested
and has time to do that now, be my guest! :)

Cheers,
Ernesto