[TYPO3-core] RFC: Hide empty TDynTabs

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Sep 7 09:55:45 CEST 2007

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> I would also like to see more changes like that turned "on" by default
> too. I agree with Kasper here. This in particular to me looks more like
> a bug than a feature, so I would even ask why do we need to have this
> configurable? Who needs empty tabs?? Ever seen a desktop GUI application
> with empty tabs??

I am ok with turned off empty tabs :)

> The release of a new version should bring new features, new looks, and
> already display new possibilities by default. Hiding them in
> configuration options that have to be turned on by the admin takes away
> the nice "wow" effect that a new version is expected to create.

You speak like developer :) Take a look from every day user. There are
two types of new features: visual and internal. While internal are fine
to be enabled by default, more caution should be taken to visual. Users
typically prefer to have environment they know. So if they get
completely new look and feel after simple upgrade, their normal workflow
will be disrupted. So *I* would prefer to enable all new internal
features unconditionally. Some visual features (like empty tabs) can be
enabled by default too. But if a new visual feature changes look and
feel a lot, it should be enabled only after update wizard was run and
compatibility was explicitly set to 4.2. This is why we had update
wizard at all!

I always try to look from user perspective. We, developers, often do the
way we see it best but it is not always best for daily users. HCI team
may help there but only if they also TYPO3 daily users themselves.

> We should care more about also having nice new installations than only
> caring about backwards compatible upgrades. Using compat_version to
> decide which "defaults" should be applied would be the best compromise.
> It has to be documented better for core developers that add new options.

So we are in agreement, aren't we? Should be use update wizard for
*some* visual features?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/