[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix Bug 6428 - strtoupper doesn't work with turkish i

Helmut Hummel typo3 at rampenlicht.org
Mon Oct 29 09:43:58 CET 2007

Hi there,

two problems are discussed in this thread.

One is, how to fix indexed_search for turkish language and
the other one how to deal with lowercase markers in templates in general.

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Ingo Renner schrieb:
>>
>> If that is the case I don't see why we should support that lazyness
>> and spent time on it.
>
> Please have a look at the templating classing of TYPO3 which explicitly
> allow this laziness. I don't think that this kind of stuff was
> necessary, but we have to deal with it right now.
>
>> The other thing is that I consider it a bug in php if the
>> transformation goes wrong, which again wouldn't be our task to fix it
>> and maybe get a new problem when php gets fixed and breaks our "fix"...
>
> I think you don't understand. strtoupper does extactly what it should
> do, that is to make a LOCALE DEPENDENT transformation. What we see here
> is an ignorance in part of the TYPO3 programmers. We don't need to fix
> strtoupper, but we need to fix our misguided attempts to use it wrongly.

This concerns the second problem and should be moved to a seperate
thread for clearification.

To the first problem (what this RFC is all about):

I think Steffens patch is almost a nobrainer, since it does not make any
sense to write $tmplContent['title'] in source, just to use the (more or
less) "buggy" strtoupper function to make the array index uppercase
afterwards.

(Perhaps Steffen should have been written that he wants to change this,
because of a better performance for indexed_search. I guess this patch
already whould have been committed, if he had done so)

Regards Helmut