[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix Bug 6428 - strtoupper doesn't work with turkish i

Martin Kutschker martin.t.kutschker at n0spam.blackbox.net
Sun Oct 28 13:04:41 CET 2007

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>
>> Solution:
>> Using the Markers as they are solves the problem.
>
> this is very likely to break stuff, therefore -1 or even veto!
>
> you shouldn't use non ASCII in markers (or other places) anyways if it's
> not supported.

The point is it's supported somewhat. If you set up the locale correctly
it will work AFAIK for all locales beside Turkish and another language
(Armenian?).

Anyway, the problem is that in Turkish the upper case form of i (small I
with dot) is NOT I (upper case I without dot), it's İ (upper case I with
dot). OTHO the lower case form of I (upper case I without dot) is ı
(small case I withot dot).

I guess that only a few non-Turkish extension developers know this fact
and happily apply strtoupper() with the current local in effect. Which
is fine for text, but will break markers.

I have outlined how to achieve this. Probably Ernestos's suggestion is
fine (hower it is implemented internally). Having a dedicated function
will teach/persuade developers to care a bit.

Masi